This is an update on Chinese arrivals following the introduction of the 1 October 2013 China Travel Law. It compares Jan-Aug 2013 to Jan-Aug 2014.
Summary of findings:
- Shopping tours are slightly down on 2013 levels.
- We are receiving slightly less Chinese shopping tours than the same period in 2013. While it appeared that shopping tours were back to BAU in March, both April, May, June and August have seen reductions in shopping tours.
- Independent holiday contunues to grow.
- Since the implementation of the China Travel Law we have seen an increase in Chinese independent holiday tourists. This growth is continuing to be seen throughout the NZ winter season.
- Increased length of holidays in New Zealand.
- With fewer short-stay shopping tours and more independent holiday tourists, average length of stay continues to increase - now at 7.8 days.