You are here

Driving in New Zealand (English)


Overseas visitors need to meet a number of requirements to drive on New Zealand roads. Just like other drivers, they must have a current driver licence; but they may also need an international driving permit or translation if their licence isn’t in English.

If their licence is not in English, they must carry a translation from an approved translator.

Find out the requirements here. This website is in English only.

How to use this tool:

  • Send visitors this link before they arrive in New Zealand.
  • Add the link below to your web browser on any publically accessible computer you may have - perhaps make a folder called 'Information for Chinese visitors'.
  • Provide a Helpful Online Resources guide to Chinese visitors on check-in that includes this link.


The inclusion of links to third party websites does not imply any endorsement of the linked website or its content or provider. See our disclaimer.

New Zealand Transport Agency Visit website